By Judith Johnston
Read or Download Anna Jameson: Victorian, Feminist, Woman of Letters (The Nineteenth Century Series) PDF
Similar literary victorian criticism books
Hundreds of thousands have learn Larry McMurtry's novel, although few conciously comprehend the sophisticated underlying subject matters that charachterize his fiction. Roger Walton Jones examines McMurtry's lifelong curiosity in Victorian authors and their impact on his novels. Emphasizing the common-sense of dislacement McMurtry shared with the Victorians, Jones identifies 3 Victoria subject matters during which McMurtry reconciles the reader to event and offers his artwork a non secular functionality: the individual's value to society; the clash among civilization and nature in an business age; and the try and discover a foundation for spirituality in an international with no God or religion in equipped faith.
Emily Harrington bargains a brand new background of women’s poetry on the flip of the century that breaks from traditional rules of nineteenth-century lyric, which specialize in person subjectivity. She argues that girls poets conceived of lyric as an intersubjective style, person who seeks to set up kin among matters instead of to represent a topic in isolation.
This wealthy and sundry selection of essays through students and interviews with artists techniques the fraught subject of booklet destruction from a brand new perspective, taking off an alternate historical past of the slicing, burning, pulping, defacing and tearing of books from the medieval interval to our personal age.
During this e-book, Barry Anthony explores the legal and socially subversive behaviourwhich abounded in and round the Victor- ian Strand. He introduces us to an unlimited variety of characters - from prostitutes, self assurance tricksters, vagrants and cadgers, to the actors, comedians and music-hall stars who trod the forums of the Strand’s early theatres.
- Literary Celebrity, Gender, and Victorian Authorship, 1850–1914
- The Victorian Diary: Authorship and Emotional Labour (The Nineteenth Century Series)
- Hebrew and Hellene in Victorian England: Newman, Arnold, and Pater
- The Selected Works of Margaret Oliphant, Part VI Volume 24: The Ladies Lindores (The Pickering Masters)
- Mobility in the Victorian Novel: Placing the Nation (Palgrave Studies in Nineteenth-Century Writing and Culture)
- The Angel out of the House: Philanthropy and Gender in Nineteenth-Century England (Victorian Literature and Culture Series)
Extra resources for Anna Jameson: Victorian, Feminist, Woman of Letters (The Nineteenth Century Series)
Anna Jameson: Victorian, Feminist, Woman of Letters (The Nineteenth Century Series) by Judith Johnston